Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day 13: Glenfiddich

Today is a very strict, scheduled day. It also revolves around scotch. So I'm pretty happy about it.  First things first, if you are ever in Scotland you need to look up Trochelhill and stay there if it is at all possible.  It's an amazing B&B.  


We set out for Strathisla Distillery.  We were just heading to the tasting room and to see the grounds because I heard that they were remarkable. 


They did not disappoint. The tasting room was very nice, full of leather couches and...well...scotch.  11 am is a bit earlier than I would prefer it to be while drinking hard alcohol though. 

We left Strathisla and headed to Speyside Cooperage. These guys make the barrels. To be more specific, they repair the used barrels that have held Bourbon or Sherry in them.  They get paid by the barrel and they work very quickly.  I took videos but i don't have any pictures, sorry. When you see me in person ask to see the videos. It's worth a look. 

We were short on time and weren't able to take the proper tour. The guy at the desk felt bad for us and charged us the senior citizen price, or he saw my sweet gray sideburn hairs and thought I was of the advanced age. 

We had a lunch reservation at The Copper Dog.  It was a sweet pub, but I'm getting tired of pubs. I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

After lunch we went over to Glenfiddich for our Deconstructing Solera tour.  Solera is a process that they use for some of their scotch. 


I really like this distillery. It's still family owned, unlike many of the distilleries in the area that are owned by Chivas.  I tried to steal a sweet whisky truck. 


At the end of the tour we took three different batches of whisky and mixed them to create our own little batch.  So we are bringing our creations home. Then I filled my own bottle of Solera, bringing that home too. It's straight from the cask, so it hasn't had any water added.  

Overall not a bad day at all. Tomorrow we head to Edinburgh and finish off our trip. 

Cheers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment